Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why, yes! I speak Toddler...


Right now, I feel like part of my job description is Full Time Translator for my toddlers.


Jake has been speaking more & more often, but he's 19 months & just beginning to talk...which is actually an improvement from his older two brothers, who didn't really speak until they were about 10. Or, at least, it felt that way. Actually, they are only 3 & 4.


John Paul, who was a later talker, just turned 3. And, while I can totally understand what he's trying to say, I do need to offer assistance to most people. Even people like my husband, who is around him quite often. John Paul gets very excited, and when he talks quickly, it is difficult to understand.


Case in point: Last evening, John Paul got some spontaneous "only child" time with Nana, Pops & Aunt Jamie. My sister turns 21 on Friday, so she needed to get a new license (WAY exciting!!) and my parents needed to run some errands in Huntington, so JP got to go with them.


This morning I asked him about the trip. His response was:


"Vell, ve vent to da diver pace and ven ve vent to Mit Donod's and den ve vent to Val-Maut and I dot a TWAIN! EMOWEE! A DURL! And den ve vent bat to NanaPop's and ve ate dinnuh. I had chitten and dip and pop dat wad diet and Nana dave me TANDY! TANDY, MAMA! TAN YOU BEWEEVE IT??"


TRANSLATION: We went to the DMV, Mc Donald's and Wal-Mart. There I got a train! Emily! A girl! Then we went back to Nana & Pop's where we ate dinner. I had chicken nuggets with ranch dressing, Diet Coke and Nana gave me candy for dessert. Can you believe it?


It's situations like these that I count my lucky stars I can stay home with the boys. There are days when I want to scream & run away, under the covers of my bed where maybe they won't find me for a while...or at least until they're hungry again, or they need me to put another episode of Bear Grylls on Netflix!


But, in reality, if I weren't here with John Paul everyday, I might not be his resident translator. And I wouldn't trade that for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment